Is your favorite teacher retiring? Are you searching for retirement quotes for teachers to add to the speech you are writing for his farewell party? Well, your hunt ends here
"There's one thing I've always wanted to do before I quit: Retire."
One of my favorite teachers loved quoting Groucho Marx, especially when he caught us sneaking into class. Till today, he maintains that his resolve not to quit always strengthens when he has wayward students like me in the batch, but he ardently wishes he could retire. However, that is the story of my professor. I am still awaiting the day when one of his present day students calls me up with a plan for his retirement party, so that I can have fun sprinkling my farewell words to thank a teacher, with the sarcasm he enjoys so much, and some retirement quotes for teachers.
If your teacher has just announced his plans for retirement, then you are probably planning a party for him. And if that is the case, then you would need help with teacher appreciation ideas and teacher gift ideas. You would also be expected to say something about your teacher and give a speech. Speeches, according to me, should always be embellished with sayings or quotes. These quotes can be funny, inspirational or emotional. This article lists some great retirement quotes for teachers, that you could use.
Inspirational Retirement Quotes for Teachers
If your teacher is someone who has inspired you and been a mentor to you, then you may want to add some retirement quotes which inspire, in your speech. Here are a few inspirational sayings.
1. A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stop. - Henry Adams
2. Teachers teach more by what they are than by what they say. - Anonymous
3. The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires. - William Arthur Ward
4. You are rewarding a teacher poorly if you remain always a pupil. - Friedrich Nietzsche
5. A master can tell you what he expects of you. A teacher, though awakens your own expectations. - Patricia Neal
6. The greatest sign of success for a teacher is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist. - Maria Montessori
7. The test of a good teacher is not how many questions he can ask his pupils that they will answer readily, but how many questions he inspires them to ask him which he finds it hard to answer. - Alice Rollins
8. A teacher is one who makes two ideas grow where only one grew before. - Elbert Hubbard
9. The best teacher lodges an intent not in the mind but in the heart. - Anne Michaels
10. The true teacher defends his pupils against his own personal influence. He inspires self-distrust. He guides their eyes from himself to the spirit that quickens him. He will have no disciple. - Amos Bronson Alcott
11. Don't simply retire from something; have something to retire to. - Harry Emerson Fosdick
Humorous Retirement Quotes for Teachers
Is your teacher someone who appreciates humor, and loves to joke around? Then you could probably bid goodbye to his teaching career with these funny retirement quotes for teachers.
1. Teaching is the greatest act of optimism. - Colleen Wilcox
2. Successful teachers are effective in spite of the psychological theories they suffer under. - Anonymous
3. There are three things to remember when teaching: know your stuff; know whom you are stuffing; and then stuff them elegantly. - Lola May
4. Retirement: It's nice to get out of the rat race, but you have to learn to get along with less cheese. - Gene Perret
5. A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep. - W.H. Auden
6. Old teachers never die; they just grade away. - Anonymous
7. The teacher should make a concerted effort never to lose his temper in the presence of the class. If a man, he may take refuge in profane soliloquies. If a woman, she may follow the example of one sweet-faced tranquil girl who went out in the yard and gnawed a post. - William Lyon Phelps
8. The splendid thing about education is that everyone wants it. Like influenza, you can give it away without losing any of it yourself. - Evelyn Waugh
9. It is time I stepped aside for a less experienced and less able man. - Scott Elledge
10. I have never liked working. To me a job is an invasion of privacy. - Danny McGorty
11. The challenge of retirement is how to spend time without spending money. - Anonymous
12. I'm not just retiring from the company, I'm also retiring from my stress, my commute, my alarm clock, and my iron. - Hartman Jule
When you are trying to figure out which retirement wishes for teachers to use, then you could probably add these retirement quotes for teachers, and get the exact reaction that you want from your guide of many years, whether it is tear-filled eyes or rollicking laughter.