Finding Yourself a Good Criminal Lawyer
When charged of a crime, you will likely panic and just hire any criminal lawyer in sight. Carelessness sometimes is the cause of greater misfortunes. Faced with criminal charges, the first thing you need to do is assess your situation. For the case pressed against you, know what the details are and what the gravity of offense is. Be careful in choosing a criminal lawyer who is going to defend your case. Different lawyers have different special fields of concentration. Finding yourself a paid lawyer is ok if you can afford it. However, if you cannot afford to hire any lawyer at all, then acquire the services of public defenders.
There are ways to find yourself a good criminal lawyer. One way of hunting is going over the internet sites. Most practicing lawyers have websites, which shows their field of specialty, cases handled, and other information that could help them advertise their credibility. Find at least several lawyers and compare. You can also follow the tips below on how you can screen among the list of lawyers.
1. Give a thorough check on the lawyers' personal and professional background. Website is helpful in getting the right information about the kind of criminal cases they handle.
2. Search for articles that will speak for the lawyers' reputation and integrity.
3. Find one or two persons who can attest to the lawyers' reliability.
4. Make a call to the BAR association or visit the website to find out the standing of the criminal lawyer.
5. If a lawyer can be found in the yellow page, his or her ads will tell something of his personality and credibility.
6. Go over local or any newspaper for that matter, old and new alike, and check if the lawyer has write ups written about him or a case he has won.
If you have narrowed down your list of criminal lawyer, this is the time to talk to them personally. You can start getting appointments so you can finally decide who the right lawyer for you is. Remember that criminal lawyers who have specializations charged more than the common lawyer did. Expect to be charged at an hourly rate or a case rate depending on your agreed professional fee. Other lawyers charged more because they are very popular. This maybe an expensive case but your assurance of winning is almost guaranteed.
Choose your criminal lawyer with care. Keep to the business level of things and do not get too personal. There are people who don't look it, but they have the ability to succeed. The most important is experience in their field of service and cases handled. If you can get the rate of winning in his previous cases then you can at least measure the probability of you winning the case. Paying for a worthy criminal lawyer is better than not spending anything for a public defender. At least with paid lawyers, you know he has staff to work diligently on your case.